I study attitudes, attitude change, emotion, decision making, and social influence, specifically applied to the domains of gender, sexuality, politics, and environmental sustainability.
My current research involves questions of environmental sustainability. I am interested in attitudes toward sustainability, the sociocognitive processes related to those attitudes, social influence on those attitudes and behaviors, and applications of persuasive methods for changing sustainability attitudes and behaviors.
I hope to extend this research to the realm of industry in terms of questions of corporate responsibility. I am interested in the influence consumers have on corporations as well as the influence corporations have on consumers in terms of environmental sustainability.
- Applied Social Psychology
- Attitudes and Beliefs
- Emotion, Mood, Affect
- Evolution and Genetics
- Gender Psychology
- Judgment and Decision Making
- Neuroscience, Psychophysiology
- Persuasion, Social Influence
- Political Psychology
- Prejudice and Stereotyping
- Sexuality, Sexual Orientation
- Social Cognition
- Giargiari, T. D., Mahaffey, A. L., Craighead, W. E., & Hutchison, K. E. (2005). Appetitive responses to sexual stimuli are attenuated in individuals with low levels of sexual desire. Archives of Sexual Behavior, 34(5), 547-556.
- Mahaffey, A. L., Bryan, A., & Hutchison, K. E. (2005). Sex differences in affective responses to homoerotic stimuli: Evidence for an unconscious bias among heterosexual men, but not heterosexual women. Archives of Sexual Behavior, 34(5), 537-545.
- Bryan, A., Webster, G. D., & Mahaffey, A. L. (2011). The big, the rich, and the powerful: Physical, financial, and social dimensions of dominance in mating and attraction. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 37(3), 365-382.
- Mahaffey, A. L., Bryan, A., & Hutchison, K. E. (2005). Using startle eye blink to measure the affective component of antigay bias. Basic and Applied Social Psychology, 27, 37-45.
- Nierman, A. J., Thompson, S. C., Bryan, A., & Mahaffey, A. L. (2007). Gender role beliefs and attitudes toward lesbians and gay men in Chile and the U.S. Sex Roles, 57(1-2), 61-67.
- Mahaffey, A. L., Bryan, A., Ito, T. A., & Hutchison, K. E. (2011). In search of the defensive function of sexual prejudice: Exploring antigay bias through shorter and longer lead startle eye blink. Journal of Applied Social Psychology, 41(1), 27-44.
- Clashing Views on Psychological Issues
- Norms, Persuasion and Social Influence
- Psychology of Gender
- Research Methods
- Social Psychology
Amanda L. Mahaffey
Centre for Psychological Research and Social Intervention
ISCTE- Lisbon University Institute
Av. Forcas Armadas